"What you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, commit to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." – 2 Timothy 2:2
Our Pastoral Training Center (PTC) is a formal residency program for the mentoring of men pursuing a call to gospel ministry. Led by Matt Capps (M.Div., D.Min) and Josh Benfield (M.A., Ed.D candidate), the PTC is a 6-month internship in which participants will receive on-the-ground ministry experience, participate in church leadership readings and discussions, and have the opportunity to earn seminary credit through Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary’s EQUIP Program. By the end of the PTC process, residents will have prayerfully grown in several areas of pastoral ministry training.
1. Knowledge of God’s word, especially in respect to the vocation of pastoral ministry.
2. Aptitude and temperament for biblical shepherding of a local church.
3. Their affection for Jesus and for the local church.
4. Upon completion of the PTC process, all qualified applicants will be able to receive ordination by Fairview Baptist Church to gospel ministry.
The PTC is designed to provide meaningful ministry experience and training for future pastors in specific areas on interest. For this reason, the PTC is designed to offer hands on training in the ministry to which the intern is assigned. Each intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in both practical and theological aspects in their area of ministry focus.
1. Commit to six months as an active member of Fairview Baptist Church.
2. Participate in Sunday morning and Wednesday night ministry activities.
3. Attend weekly Fairview staff meetings and participate in staff discussions, prayer, discipleship and collaboration.
4. Involved in pastoral shepherding such as visitation and outreach.
5. Instructing and teaching the church in sound doctrine as needed.
6. Available to assist in different areas of ministry as asked by the pastoral staff.
7. If a SEBTS student, able to complete at least one EQUIP class under the supervision of the staff.
8. Complete the required reading, paper assignments, and discussions with the Senior Pastor.
DURATION AND COMPENSATION
The PTC residency runs for 6 months. Each participant will be given a stipend of $200 per month (a total $1,200). This stipend will cover required books and travel expenses.
SEMINARY COURSE CREDIT
In partnership with Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fairview Baptist Church is able to offer course credit classes through the EQUIP program (Mentored Internship and Practicum Courses). Below is a list of approved classes. The particular course offered will be based on the needs of the participants.
PMN7900/EQC – Mentored Internship Practicums:
PMN6501/EQC – Pastoral Ministry and Leadership Practicum
PMN6733/EQC – Christian Leadership Practicum
PMN6721/EQC – Administration and Education in the Local Church Practicum
PRS6101/EQC – Bible Exposition I: Hermeneutics and Preparation Practicum
PRS6501/EQC – Bible Exposition II: Delivery Practicum
BCO5502/EQC – Biblical Counseling Practicum (Biblical Counseling Training Required)
MIS5101/EQC – Christian Missions: Principles and Practice Practicum
EVA5101/EQC – Evangelism: Nature and Practice Practicum
EVA6611/EQC – Personal Discipleship and Disciple-Making Practicum
Because of the duration of the Pastoral Training Center, one seminary course should be the initial aim. To find out more, visit Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary's EQUIP page.
READING AND WRITING
Each member of the Pastoral Training Center will read the required books for discussion and write several reflection papers. There will be six books (one per month) focused on the areas of pastoral theology, ministry, and ecclesiology.